In 1958, the existing property of the Strawberry House Family Restaurant was purchased by Richard & Janet Thomas. The property was farmed producing fresh fruits and vegetables. Having an over abundance of produce, they built a small shack to sell the … show more
In 1958, the existing property of the Strawberry House Family Restaurant was purchased by Richard & Janet Thomas. The property was farmed producing fresh fruits and vegetables. Having an over abundance of produce, they built a small shack to sell their produce. Later, in about 1964 this shack was updated to a larger building. Again in 1972, this building was replaced by yet a larger building which is part of the internal shell of the existing restaurant today. The increase in sales, the addition of the green house and the now growing number of acres of strawberries demanded the expansion of the produce stand and warranted the building of cold storage units. Janet Thomas is addicted to strawberries in general! She loves anything with strawberries, so it was no surprise in 1980 when they converted part of the produce stand into a take-out ice cream and homemade pie and cakes serving fresh strawberries with everything. Then in 1984, they decided to convert the whole produce stand into a full functioning restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Being of German decent, they named the restaurant the "Strawberry Fest Haus", which in German means the "Strawberry Eating House". In later years the restaurant just became the Strawberry House because of all the strawberry decorations throughout the restaurant. By 1992 , Janet, a widow since 1989 remarried to William Shaw and they worked together and kept the restaurant going until the year 2000. That is when Janet turned the restaurant over to her youngest son, Scott Thomas. Scott is still the present owner and chef of the Strawberry House. In 2004 - 2005 the welcomed expansion of the dining rooms and the new kitchen along with a total face lift was completed. This is how it stands today! ..